The Safe Kids Metro KC program works with community partners to prevent accidental injury and death to children 19 and under.
In 2008, over 18,000 children in Clay, Platte, Jackson and Wyandotte counties were injured through falls, cuts, vehicle, pedestrian and bicycle accidents, fire and other at-risk activities.
With numbers this high, it’s important that all family members recognize the causes and ways to prevent accidents and injuries to children.
Our Safe Sleep program provides free cribs for eligible families. To refer yourself or someone else, click below:
How MCHC Helps
The Safe Kids Metro KC program works with community partners to prevent accidental injury and death to children 19 and under by educating adults and children, creating safe environments, conducting research and advocating for effective laws.
Our activities include:
- Annual Child Safety Initiative (CSI) Conference, Friday, April 8, 2016 “Educate, Empower, Advocate.” To access the PowerPoint presentations from this event, CLICK HERE.
- Public awareness activities to prevent child heatstroke deaths.To prevent HEATSTROKE, remember to ACT:
A: Avoid heatstroke-related injury and death by never leaving your child alone in a car, not even for a minute. Make sure to keep your car locked when you’re not in it so kids don’t get in on their own, and keep the keys out of their reach.C: Create reminders by putting something in the back of your car next to your child such as a briefcase, a purse or a cell phone that is needed at your final destination. This is especially important if you’re not following your normal routine.T: Take action. If you see a child alone in a car, call 911. One call could save a life.
- Safe Sleep education to prevent suffocation deaths:
1) Fox 4 Report on Safe Sleep Education Feb. 5, 2015;
2) KSHB Channel 41 Report on Safe Sleep Project Nov. 5, 2013
3) KCTV5 Safe Sleep Clinic Nov. 4, 2014.
- Quarterly educational programs, free and open to the public: check our event calendar
- KC Area Fitting Stations (MO and KS) – We provide this link for a list of places you can go in the KC metro area to have your child’s car seat installed properly. Some seats are available at most stations, for a donation.
- 32-hour National Standardized Child Passenger Safety trainings developed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Participation in all course activities, successful performance on tests and evaluation of hands-on skills is required for national certification.
- Teaching children (and parents) to be aware of risks in patterns of walking and areas of unsafe structures, sidewalks and roadways. Pedestrian safety activities build up to Safe Kids Walk This Way celebrations during International Walk to School Week in October. Walk to School Day 2011 (vimeo)
- Providing safety education about childproofing a home, which helps prevent falls, cuts, fires, burns and other household injuries to all members of the family.
- Teaching about bike safety as well as proper helmet protection—offered through trainings developed by the Mid America Regional Council with support from Safe Kids Metro KC.
- Legislative initiatives regarding state child passenger safety laws.
- NEW from Safe Kids Kansas: holiday-travel-safety-11-21-16
- Consumer Dangers
- Drug Watch/Children
- Drug Watch/News
- Heatstroke statistics
- Pool Safety, KSHB Channel 41 May 31, 2016
- Heatstroke Poster 2015
- Never Leave Your Child Alone in a Car Fact Sheet
- Where’s Baby?
- Heatstroke facts
- Heat stroke media talking points
- You Saved Your Child’s Life Today: Hyperthemia Poster
- Child Passenger Seat Fitting Stations – KC Metro Area – a list of places you can go in the KC metro area to have your child’s car seat installed properly. Some seats are available at most stations, for a donation.
- Preventing Tipover Accidents (English)
- Preventing Tipover Accidents (Spanish)
- Safety Videos from Charlie’s House
- Find a car seat check station in your area
- Safe Sleep Kansas
Immunization and Childhood Injury Prevention Coordinator
(816) 283-6242 Ext. 244